Laura and the Red Skulls

Photo Post Aug 9, 2020

These shots of Laura New are from a few years ago. Toward the very end of the shoot—we literally had about five minutes left—I had run out of ideas and was going to just end early. Then, I noticed this sheer black fabric with red accents hanging up on the wall at the studio I was renting. I thought it looked cool, so I threw it to Laura and asked her to improvise with it.

Now, my camera has a built-in diopter, so I typically don't wear my glasses when I'm shooting. As a result, I honestly had no idea that the red accents on the fabric were skulls until I got home and started editing the photos.

Technical Details

The key light in all of these shots was a 600 watt second studio strobe with a 7' parabolic umbrella with a diffuser just to my left. I did not use a fill light, but I did use two large strip boxes as separation lights: one on each side behind the model.

All of these were shot between 𝒇5 and 𝒇8 at 1/250s.

I actually had to photoshop the striplights used as kickers out of two of the shots above.


Great! You've successfully subscribed.
Great! Next, complete checkout for full access.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.